Photo: Alligator-Grain Vinyl Top

Published by Naseem Muaddi on November 20th, 2012

No this isn’t a wild aftermarket upgrade. In 1969 and 1970, Mopar offered an alligator-grain vinyl top as a factory option.

Auto trimmers interested in offering gator-top restoration services should contact Legendary Auto Interiors. Their replacement tops feature the same exact grain as the original Mopar tops.

1. tinabanana tinabanana says:

i kinda like it but find it doesnt go with the flat black strip on the side of the car.

2. Belvedere65 says:

I remember those vynal tops well……..

3. Nadeem says:

It does actually look a lot cooler than I had expected.

4. Rick Z says:

I as well remember these tops when they were new. This is back when they didn’t even finish the body under the vinyl roof and many of the times they didn’t have any paint either. It was amazing with that vinyl could cover.

5. Neil Malone says:

I like that particular car in the photo. Something about the baby blue paint, matching blue window tint, off-set by the matte black graphics and croc skin top reminds me of the swanky lounge era. Its different, but I dig it. I could see myself ripping down a coastal highway in a vintage metal beast while listening to Burt Bacharach.

6. Alex says:

I agree with Neil, somehow everything goes together nicely. I like the alligator-grain vinyl – is adds texture and class.

7. Don day says:

I want one!!

8. Retired.. Yep Help Recover A Few Of Those. Didnt Mind The Original Car Trim So Bad As The Plastic Trim That Came As A Kit To Make Any Auto One With A Vynl Top. You Remember Those Rivet On Metal Bands Which Would Bend Around The Corners And The Plastic Channel Clamped Over The Band With The Plastic Corners. Come Across Any Of Those Lately?

9. Colorado Auto Trim Supply Co. Colorado Auto Trim Supply Co. says:

Looks good I actually found about 5 yards of Black OEM Alligator Vinyl top material while cleaning out our old warehouse last summer