Selecting the Correct Needle Point

Published by Naseem Muaddi on March 15th, 2012

Keystone Sewing Company has made available a handy guide that auto trimmers can use to determine the correct needle point needed to achieve a particular stitch or seam appearance. The guide, originally published by Groz-Beckert, is a must read for all auto upholstery professionals.

This needle guide discusses such important topics as selecting the correct needle point, stitch appearance, seam strength and the influence of leather on seam appearance. It’s only seven pages, but manages to pack a lot of helpful information, as well as photos and diagrams to explain the correct use of needle points.

Check it out: Needles for the Processing of Leather: Perfect Seams for All Applications

1. stitcher_guy stitcher_guy says:

That’s cool. Never realized the subtle variances depending on needle. All I’ve ever heard in the past is the D-needle for sewing leather. Makes me wonder when I order needles from my supplier, why don’t they ask which I prefer, and do they even stock more than one type??

2. John says:

Wow, it’s amazing. I learn something new everyday. I will have to play around a bit when I’m not so busy.

3. Sew It Seams Sew It Seams says:

but how do I order these diffrent needle types

4. tinabanana tinabanana says:

I was wondering how come my stiches were slanted. I asked an experience local trimmer and he said….thats normal. Now I see that with a different needle i can do straight stiches. great article!!

5. DaneDobrinska DaneDobrinska says:

Has any one found a supplier of these different types of needles. Groz-Beckert does not sell direct, and Ralph’s PowerSew here in Denver only carries the Diamond points.

6. S-T-I-T-C-H S-T-I-T-C-H says:

Very, very usefull info! Like you said Naseem, not many suppliers know this.