Harley-Davidson on the Nature of Leather

Published by Naseem Muaddi on April 21st, 2012

I found a tag attached to the bottom of a Harley-Davidson seat that a customer brought to my shop yesterday to be recovered. The message, which was about the nature of leather, was worded so well that I thought I’d share it.

The tag (pictured below) read:

The leather product you have purchased has been custom designed for use on this Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Its rugged design is enhanced by the use of premier top-grain leather. A natural product, leather carries unique markings: scars, grain lines, wrinkles, creases. These variations are your assurance of authentic top-grain leather. Leather is porous and organic and each leather product will settle into its own distinct form with use. Your leather product will mature into its own custom shape and style from the sun, the rain, and time. This maturing is natural and will enhance the custom quality of your Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Contact your dealer for leather care products.

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Some people’s expectations of leather are unrealistic. They expect a hide’s grain to be flawless and consistent. But as the Harley tag states, each leather hide is unique with its own distinctive markings, grain lines and even wrinkles – all of which give leather its character. If what customers want is uniform perfection, they should stick with vinyl.

I also love the tag’s statement about leather settling into its own custom shape. I always tell my customers that the best thing they can do for their leather is sit on it.

I think I might blow this tag up and hang it in my office.

1. stitcher_guy stitcher_guy says:

So true, and so cool that they say it rather than us having to explain it all the time.

2. Steve McGee says:

The only problem is that it’s attached to the bottom of the seat. Even though the statement is accurate no one is ever going to see it. The other thing is you can explain that to customers until your blue in the face and they still won’t understand why “their” leather has markings and such on it.

3. carolinaauto carolinaauto says:

I’m def. going to blow this up and hang it. Working on a seat pan right now with vegi tan leather and there are some marks on it, if the customer says anything, I’ll just point to the sign lol. Gives it character.

4. Nacho says:

WOW, I need to photoshop this tag, print a poster sized version of it, and frame it in my garage so that people can understand that real leather is not always perfect…

5. Definitely worth blowing up. I think Harley worded it perfectly. It’s the flaws that make leather beautiful and unique.

6. brad says:

I’ve done my fair share of harley seats…and never once seen a leather factory harley seat? Every single one has been vinyl…I even got samples of the vinyl harley uses, and its garbage lol was this an accesory harley seat? I’ve never seen one roll out the showroom with leather

7. noel says: