The Ford Mustang’s Short-Lived Towne Top

Published by Naseem Muaddi on May 20th, 2014

Auto Upholstery - The Hog Ring - Ford Mustang Towne Tops

Removable hardtops are readily available for late-model Ford Mustangs. But did you know that detachable roofs date as far back as the pony’s debut in 1964?

Upon Ford Motor Company‘s introduction of the Mustang, Dory Development Co. of New York began manufacturing removable hardtops for the convertible models. The detachable roof was marketed to Ford dealerships as a safe and practical way to protect soft tops from harsh weather.

The Towne Top, as it was known, was constructed of fiberglass and upholstered in your choice of tan or black double-seam vinyl. From the inside, it was finished with a headliner, sail panels, and even an optional dome light. Weighing in at around 85 lbs, the detachable roof required at least two people to install or remove it.

Unfortunately, the Towne Top was discontinued in 1966 due to a lack of demand. Priced at $298, Mustang owners felt it was too expensive and didn’t offer much in the way of value.

With only three known to exist today, these tops are considered to be extremely rare and most definitely a collector’s item.

Auto Upholstery - The Hog Ring - Ford Mustang Towne Tops

Auto Upholstery - The Hog Ring - Ford Mustang Towne Tops

Auto Upholstery - The Hog Ring - Ford Mustang Towne Tops

Auto Upholstery - The Hog Ring - Ford Mustang Towne Tops

Auto Upholstery - The Hog Ring - Ford Mustang Towne Tops

1. doug says:

Those tops are rare we have a 66 Mustang convertible in process of restoration that is one of the original recipients of the Town Top it is a red 66 from the east coast. Now at our shop in Lincoln, Nebraska

2. malcolm says:

I think i may have one of these towne tops that came with my 66 Mustang When i bought it,can anyone give me more information on them. Not sure if its original or a repo.

3. R. A. Miller says:

I have Townes top that I took to have vinyl top replaced. The screwed it up and thru away the chrome trim. Is there anyone who could do restoration for me?
    Thanks,
    Bob

4. David says:

Must be more than three I found two in one week of looking and bought one of them. Has extra set of NOS side logo trim.
    David

5. David says:

I went and picked up the top a white one that is ready to go on no restore needed. He had two sets of NOS side emblems, an original brochure that takes the top off and on when you open it. Tons of info for replacement pieces and probably 50 pictures of other tops.
    Then the guy with the other one calls and wants $750 for a basket case that you would never find the missing pieces for. It was black and had the stainless trim across the top in the rear.
    So maybe there are more of these than one might think if I found two in a couple weeks of looking.
    David

6. David says:

I purchased another of the towne tops this one is the black with the stainless strip across the rear of the top. The vinyl is not seamed like in the picture here it is one piece back to the stainless strip and then another piece from the stainless down the the trunk. Is the serial number the number stamped on the aluminum strip inside at the front passenger side? There seems to be more of these than first thought. There was a tag inside under the headliner that had #13 written on it?
    Any information helps.
    David

7. DALLAS says:

Hello,
    I am looking for a “Towne top” for my convertible Mustang 1964 1/2. If someone could find and sell one in good shape to me, I shall be very happy…
    Thanks in advance