Pro Tip: Sewing Leather With Ease

Published by Nadeem Muaddi on August 20th, 2012

We’re excited to debut the first installment in a series of short “Pro Tip” videos that we’ve produced to help rookie (and perhaps even not-so-rookie) auto trimmers get the job done – effectively, efficiently and professionally.

In our first video, Naseem shares a simple trick that he uses to allow leather to slide under his sewing machine with ease. Check it out!

What do you think? Do you take a different approach? If so, share it with us in the comments section below.

1. Selvage Selvage says:

Now why didn’t I think of that? Excellent tip.

2. Mcautotrim Mcautotrim says:

Good tip. Another is to put a little baby powder on the table.

3. MAU MAU says:

It also helps to wax the machine bed and table with carnauba wax.

4. 8-track 8-track says:

That is a cool idea, I use spray silicon on the bench and sewing machine.

5. Rocketman Rocketman says:

You should have used the fron cover of the Harbor Freight paper, Then you may have been able to sell it as advertising!!!! LOL Great Tip Guys !!!!!

6. I’ve never used baby powder or carnauba wax, but like 8-track, silicone spray is another go-to method for me.

Rocketman – I like the way you think! LOL.

7. Doktorsew Doktorsew says:

I also use the paper method when I’m sewing plastic windows into convertible top and boat curtains. When I double sew them, I sew the inner stitch, turn it over, peel off the outer ring of paper, leaving the main inner paper, sometimes putting a small piece of tape to hold it in spots. Then sew the outer stitch. This way you don’t have to spend time removing the paper from the narrow space between the stitch lines Leave the main paper attached until it’s in the vehicle or the customer picks it up.

8. Eric's Auto Upholstery says:

Silicone is a good strategy. Although it is difficult if your sewing a plastic window into a convertible top. I agree with the usage of Fron cover. Harbor Frieghts has a lot of good finds!

9. Tom Vaughan says: