Hot or Not? Dodge Challenger Vinyl Tops

Published by Naseem Muaddi on September 6th, 2013

Auto Upholstery - The Hog Ring - Dodge Challenger Vinyl Top

To honor the first-generation Dodge Challenger, some owners of the current model are asking auto upholstery shops to install vinyl tops on their roofs.

They’ve even gone so far as to use original boar-grain vinyl – though I’d like to see a version with the more rare alligator-grain vinyl. While some shops are using color-key molding to finish the vinyl on the quarter panels, others are opting for the chrome appearance of Vicar’s mock-top molding.

Personally, I wouldn’t do it if it was my car, but the customer’s always right – right?

Auto Upholstery - The Hog Ring - Dodge Challenger Vinyl Top

Auto Upholstery - The Hog Ring - Dodge Challenger Vinyl Top

Auto Upholstery - The Hog Ring - Dodge Challenger Vinyl Top

What do you think? Tell us in the comments section below. If vinyl tops aren’t your thing? How about a custom convertible top?

1. Clayton says:

Honestly, I think it’s pretty cool! I too would like to see the gator vinyl but the boar grain is pretty sweet on them! I think that does bring the retro back to the new design!

2. aunc aunc says:

I kind of like it.I think vinyl tops look great on some body styles. Especially tops with no padding. That being said,if this becomes a huge trend, I reserve the right to retract my statements.

3. rich santana says:

Have always liked vinyl tops. I think it is very cool, and especially on these retro cars. Dig it!!

4. oldgrumpy oldgrumpy says:

I think they look great ! it’s only a new challenger it’s not like your trashing a classic .

5. The more I look at these pictures the vinyl top look is starting to grow on me. I’d like to see it up close though to see how they finished the vinyl edge in the front by the windshield.

6. mark says:

That looks great! lets see it on a plum crazy purple car. Yeah…

7. Frankie says:

Always wanted the black top…going back in the days. Probing shops in this area that put one on. RT Classic with vinyl top will define tally look cool – if you fit in the Ole school ways.

8. Lucas says:

I have a customer interested in doing this. I have yet to find a shop here in central Wisconsin that has done it before. Any idea of where he could take his car?